Subject: FIX to 590 CROSSBAND REPEAT
From: [email-masked] (Jay Appell)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc

Many of you have reported a problem with the 590 keying up automatically
in crossband repeat.

In general, Crossband repeaters aren't 100% duty cycle machines. They are a
convenient way to perform a crossband transmission. If any crossband radio is
used for an extended period of time, it will get hot and be subjected to a
possible failure. 

Problem:

The crossband repeat function may lock up in transmit during use.

Explanation: 

The Alinco 590 has a temperature sensitive squelch. This is by design and has
been removed from the new DR599 mobile. As the radio gets increasingly more use,
it can become warm and then hot and then the squelch window begins to decay. 
When squelch finally opens up, the radio interprets it as a transmission and
then locks up.

Correction:

Alinco will make available some components (caps) that will alleviate the 
problem. Contact them at 213-618-8616 for more details. If you wish , they will
perform the fix.

Suggestion: Send your radio back to ALINCO and state that you would like their
            free upgrade. This consists of new caps (1 for the head and 1 for
            the main unit), caps for crossband audio correction and caps for 
            temperature sensitive squelch.

All components are in stock.

Jay Appell (KA1SNA)
==============================================================================
Note: I haven't tried or verified this, proceed at your own risk.  WA2ISE