Subject: ICOM IC-2410 mods

From: [email-masked] (kenneth.roser)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1991 03:10:23 GMT

In addition to a previous posting concerning changing the display I
thought I would share info on:

1.) Extending the receive range
2.) Adding an 800 Mhz antenna input
3.) Cross-band repeat instructions (local and via remote control)

EXPANSION OF RECEIVE RANGE

The following diodes are located on the Logic Unit circuit board.  The
Logic Unit circuit board sits behind the front panel of the radio.  To
get to the board remove the top and bottom of the case.  Now notice that
the front section of the radio is a separate unit from the main body of
the radio.  Remove the 4 screws holding the sections together but do not
yet separate the sections.  Place the radio on a table so that it is
right side up.  Carefully start to separate the sections being careful
of ribbon cables that connect the front section of the radio to the
rear.  If you look at the back of the circuit board on the front section
towards the lower part of the radio, you will clearly see three glass
diodes labeled D8, D9 and D10.  You will know this is the right circuit
board because a lithium battery will be taped to it.  These are the
diodes to cut to get extended receive range as follows:

D8	320-399, 830-950	800 Mhz coverage requires new antenna input
D9	118-135
D10	400-479

800 MHZ ANTENNA INPUT
To receive 800 Mhz you need to add a new antenna input to connector J2
on the MAIN-B unit (UHF unit) which is the large circuit board on the
bottom of the radio.  J2 connects to a the B-band board which is a very
small daughterboard, that is connected to the MAIN-B board.  The service
manual offers no description of this board but it apparently is the 800
Mhz front end.

Two parts are needed:
One 5 3/4" grey coax jumper (this is available from ICOM but it doesn't
				have a part number)

Either:
One OPC223 pigtail with UHF connector
	or
One OPC166 pigtail with N connector

The grey coax jumper has a plug on one end that mates with J2 and bare
leads on the other.  The pigtail also has two bare leads on one end.
This same end also has a metal flange thats designed to screw onto the
back panel of the radio after removing one of the dummy caps on either
side of the existing antenna pigtail.

Without going into too much detail, you must:

Remove the small metal cap nearest the bottom of the radio and next to
the existing pigtail.

Remove the metal shield at the back section of the Main-B unit.

Solder the two pieces of coax together, shield to shield, center to center
and screw this assembly on to the back panel.

Plug the grey cable into J2 and then reassemble the radio.

CROSS-BAND REPEAT (An edited version from an ICOM info sheet)

1.) Set frequencies for both UHF and VHF.  If necessary, set transmit offset
and tone.

2.) Hold the "BAND" switch and the "SET" switch.  The memory number display
will flash the letter "L".  This indicates the 2410 is in the "Mini Repeater"
mode.

3.) Transmission by PTT is possible.  If PTT is operated, the band which
is indicated by the flashing decimal point will be transmitted on.  This
can be done even when in "Mini Repeat" mode.  In other words, PTT has
priority over the "Mini Repeat" operation.

Transmitted band will be switched by the "UP" or "DN" key on the microphone.
The flashing decimal point will indicate which band will be transmitted on.

4.) Mini Repeater function will remain even when power is turned off.
To disable repeater function, hold the "SET" key until the flashing "L"
disappears.

REMOTE CROSS-BAND ACTIVATION
To activate cross-band repeat remotely: after dialing "B", optional 3 digit
code then "#", the command for cross-band repeat on is "B", "D", "*".

To turn off repeat, dial "B", optional 3 digit code, then "#".

DISCLAIMER:  Proceed at your own risk.  I assume no responsibility if any
info posted here causes your radio harm.
-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken Roser - WA2VCI - [email-masked] - AT&T Bell Laboratories - 908-957-5822
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------