

Article 11320 of rec.ham-radio:
Path: philabs!prls!mips!versatc!ames!ucsd!sdcsvax!ucsdhub!hp-sdd!hplabs!hpfcdc!hpldola!hp-lsd!col!billp
>From: [email-masked] (Bill Pherigo)
Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio
Subject: ICOM 32AT MODS
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Apr 89 18:54:19 GMT
Organization: HP Colorado Springs Division
Lines: 34

                    MODS FOR ICOM 32AT

1.  Remove battery and antenna.
2.  Loosen two screws on top of unit as much as possible without removing them.
3.  Loosen 4 flat head screws on bottom of unit 1 turn.
4.  Loosen 2 screws near PTT switch 1 turn.
5.  Remove 4 black screws on back of unit. 
6.  Lift bottom of front cover .25 inch, slide it down .25 inch, then lift
    front cover up 1 inch.
7.  Disconnect plug on 4 wires coming from the speaker. 
8.  Lay front panel on table up-side down being careful of the flex circuit.
9.  All mods are done to the back of the front panel.  Notice places for 5
    axial diodes, which I will call 1 through 5, 1 being nearest the display.
    Add/remove diodes so there are diodes in positions 3 and 5.  This will
    open up receive coverage for VHF & UHF and enable keyboard entry of the 
    10 MHz digit.
10. Notice 4 surface mount resistors slightly left of center directly above the 
    speaker, lined up in a row.  Solder the anode (the side without the bar)
    of two diodes to the right side of the lower of the four caps. Now find
    the CPU.  It's the PGA under the shield near the top of the board.  Find
    the row of pins on the CPU nearest the speaker.  Notice the the 8th pin
    from the right has a thicker trace coming from it.  Now notice that there
    are small solder pads about .25 inch toward the speaker on both the fat
    trace and the two traces to the right of it.  Solder one each of the
    cathodes of the 2 diodes to the solder pads on the two smaller traces.
    This will open up the transmit for VHF & UHF.
11. Put unit back together in reverse order.

     This procedure worked for my unit (and many others), but I can't
 guarantee it will work for yours.

Bill Pherigo
WR0Y