Subject: Re: RS 49Mhz walkie talkie, move to 6 meters?

From: [email-masked] (Brian Livergood)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 92 14:28:21 PST

Robert,
A group of hams in Santa Barbara, CA did this within the last year, and
the radios seem to work great.  They use them to access a local 6m repeater.
The low power cuts down on TVI troubles.  I'm not totally sure who was
behind this effort, but if you drop a card to Joe Heumphreus, K6DXW, at
his callbook address, I'm sure he would help you out with plans or pass
it on to someone who could.  They used the RS single channel 49 MHz walkie.
I don't have a catalog in front of me, so I'm not sure if that's the same one
you referenced, but I'm sure the mfr. is the same at least.

If you decide to write to Joe, let him know I gave you his name.

Have fun,

Robert Keenan, WU6L
[email-masked]   (not my account, but I'm using it for now)

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Hare KA1CV)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 92 22:54:07 GMT

Robert,

I had taken a look at the schematic of their model a few years ago,
and it looked just that simple! One of the crystal manufacturers
should be able to grind you a set of crystals for about $30/pair.

Try International Crystal - 405-236-3741
    Jan Crystals          - 800-526-9825

Info from Chapter 35 of the ARRL Handbook.

If it is the same two-crystal design I looked at, there is really no
reason that it couldn't be set up for a specific local repeater.

If you do do this, let me know. I think it would make a nice QST
article (but I don't make all the decisions around here). 

GL, 73, Ed.