

Article 8764 of rec.ham-radio:
Path: philabs!prls!pyramid!decwrl!labrea!rutgers!rochester!pt.cs.cmu.edu!cadre!pitt!cisunx!chain
>From: [email-masked] (Tom Link)
Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio
Subject: Re: PRO-2004 Mods
Summary: summery of Mods with some added -- S-METER -- FASTER SCAN
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jan 89 18:16:29 GMT
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Tom Link)
Organization: The Zets
Lines: 84

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tom Link) writes:
>I read some other mods in other issues of Pop com and in 73 i'll
>post the after i find them if nobody beats me to it

Well, nobody beat me to 'em so I'm back

here a list of the diode functions as printed in Aug 1988 edition of 73
by KB6LCN

d-510  in circut      - scanner will have 400 memories (10 x 40)
       not in circut  - scanner will have 300 memories (10 x 30)

d-512 in circuit - it will step  30 kHz from 825-844.995 and 870-889.995
      removed    - "   "    "   12.5 "  "      "          "      "a

d-513 in circut  - will not scan 825-844.995 MHz or 870-889.995 MHz
      removed    - will scan all of 800 MHz band

d-514 in circuit     - scanning rate increases to 20 channels per second
      not in circut  - scanning rate in 19 ch/sec (alt 8 ch/sec)

!!!! WATCH POLARITY !!!!

in Aug 1987 Popular Communications Bill Cheek gives the bet details to 
bring back the lost 800 MHz Freqs. and poinsts out that in the replaced
bands the defalt skip rate for a search is 30 MHz however if change 
it with the step key you need to press the RESET key on the front
keypad to return to 30 MHz increment step.  (RESET is to to be confused 
with the RESTART button on the rear of the unit).

he also gives modifications for an S-meter

S-METER

1 - locate transister q-9 (far frount right area of the radio, just 
    under the sloaping front panel.

2 - drill a 1/4" hole in the rear chassis of the radio

3 - install a RCA jack in this hole

4 - Install on lead of a .10-uF ceramic disc capacitor to the center 
    lug of the RCA jack and the other lead to ground lug of the RCA 
    jack 

5 - clip off all but 1/4" of leads of a 10-K ohm resistor.  Carefully,
    soder one lead to the collector (center lead) of q-9.
    !!! pretin all leads and use a low watt iron with sharp tip 

6 - solder a 12" wire to the free end of the 10-K resistor.  Slip a 1"
    section of insulated tubing over resistor and wire to prevent 
    shorting.

7 - connect free end of the wire to the center lug of the RCA jack

8 - connect a voltmeter capable of reading between 1 and 3 volts,
    DC (digital or analog to a RCA plug.  red wire to center, and
    black wire to the shell.  shielding in not needed.

connecting the rca jack and plug will now give you a measurement
of the recievers intermediate frequency automatic gain control (IF AGC)
the auther said the the range will be between + 1.87 volts DC with
no signals present to +2.6 volts DC for a strong signal.  he also 
suggested that a digital voltmeter with 2 or three decimal places
gave better resolution.

I ordered the scanner when Radio Shack's catalog announced it
and got it as soon as it came in an etirnity later.  I restored the 
lost 800 MHz freq about a year and a half ago and have not found any 
problems.  I'll probable do the other mods this weekend.

If any else knows mods let us know.

73 from a hopefully soon to be novist trying to study code

-- 
| Tom Link, University of Pittsburgh Computer Science
| BITNET: chain@pittunx
| USENET: ...!pitt!cisunx!chain
| ARPANET: [email-masked]
| CC-NET: chain::cisunx
| UUCP: {decwrl!allegra,bellcore,cadre,psuvax1}!pitt!cisunx!tjw
| AT&T: 1 (412) 731-6296
| US-MAIL : 310 Surrey Place, Pittsburgh PA 15235-5056, USA