Subject: PRO-2006 and PRO-2022 Cellular Conversion Instructions

From: [email-masked] (PRO-2006)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1991 15:50:41 GMT

PRO-2006 Modifications
	
NOTE: The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 makes it
unlawful to monitor mobile telephones, including cellular. The following
modification is intended only to restore continuous 760-1300 MHz
coverage as originally provided by the design of the PRO-2006
microprocessor.

BE SURE TO TEST YOUR PRO-2006 FULLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS
MODIFICATION. ANY MODIFICATION MAY VOID YOUR WARRENTY.

		824-851, 869-896 MHz Frequency Restoration
		
Tools Required: small Phillips screwdriver, small wire cutters.

Procedure: With the power cord unplugged, remove the two rear
cabinet screws holding the upper cover. Lift off the upper cover,
being careful not to stretch the speaker leads. Examine the inner,
right-hand-corner of the front panel to find two glass diodes, labelled
D503 (upper diode) and D502 (lower diode).

Using the clippers, very carefully snip the visible lead of the lower
diode (D502) at its bend and slightly separate the cut ends. If it is
ever necessary to send the radio back for warrenty repair, the diode
leads should be carefully resoldered.

Reassemble, plug in AC cord, turn on scanner, and press RESET.

			Keyboard Beep Delete
			
With the top cover removed as described above, locate connector CN3, 
a 15-pin connector with colored wires at the front of the main circuit
board. There are two precedures which will stop the beep tone from
being heard through the speaker; read both to decide which procedure
you want to follow.

(1) Find the center grey wire coming from CN3 and cut it midway to
disable the beep tone. You may wish to solder a resistor in series
to reduce the beep volume, a trimpot to vary the volume of the beep
tone, or a minature switch to choose between beep and no beep.

				(or)
				
(2) Using a pair of needle-nose pliers, CAREFULLY pry the plug from CN3,
revealing a row of pins. Locate the center pin (#8) which corresponds 
to the grey wire and bend it down flat, disabling the beep circuit.
Reinsert the plug. The pin may be erected again later to restore the
beep tone if desired.

This completes the restoration procedure. Reattach the cover and replace
the screws.

			WARRANTY REPAIR
			
Should it be necessary during the first year of ownership of your new
PRO-2006 to exercise your warrenty, it should be carefully double-boxed
(as you received it) and returned to Grove Enterprises. Be sure to
include a copy of the original bill to establish warranty
privileges.

You must prepay only shipping and insurance; return shipping and
insurance to you will be paid by the dealer.

	Grove Enterprises, P.O. Box 98, 140 Dogbranch Road
		Brasstown, NC; 1-704-837-9200
=========================================================================

 	Cellular Restoration on the Realistic PRO-2022

The Realistic PRO-2022 certainly is a look-alike for the all-time
popular, but now-discontinued, PRO-2005. But is the similarity only
cosmetic? What tricks can be done to increase the utility of the 
lower-cost 2022, now availible from Radio Shack and Grove Enterprises?
Of the greatest interest, can cellular phone coverage, censored at the
factory, be restored? Yes.

After removing the two upper back screws and the top lid, locate the
black cable just behind the front panel. Adjacent to the cable are
four diodes locations: D42, D43, D44 and D45.

	D42	is not present; installed, it adds the 68-88 MHz
		European mid band (which includes the US 76-82 MHz
		mid band), removing the US 30-54 MHz low band. Even
		if a switch were installed to allow the diode to be
		selected, additional components and realignment are
		necessary for that higher frequency coverage. Don't
		do it!
		
	D43	is present, allowing the 800 MHz band to be received;
		the diode may be deleted so that the same microprocessor
		may be used in scanner modles which don't have that 
		800 MHz capability. Don't touch it!
		
	D44	is present, deleting the cellular mobile and base
		frequencies. If one lead is cut, total 806-960 frequency
		is restored, including 30 kHz steps in the cellular
		band. Keep in mind, however, that mobile telephone
		eavesdropping is prohibited by the Electronic 
		Communications Privacy Act!
		
This modification may void your warrenty; it is best to cut the lead
carefully, gently separating the gap slightly so that it may be resoldered
in case the radio needs warrenty repair later.

	D45	is not present; installed, it makes the cellular 30 kHz
		increments change to 12.5 kHz. A small SPST switch
		connected in series with one lead of a 1N914 or 1N4148
		could allow selection of the 25 kHz step interval in
		those areas which utilize that channel spacing.
		
To do this, it is necessary to unsolder a shield under the circuit
board which covers the solder pads for the diodes. Such a modification
should only be attempted by someone familiar with electronic circuitry.

[Excerpted from Monitoring Times, June 1990, page 89.]