Subject: Re: Any mods for Radio Shack Pro-39?

From: [email-masked] (Gary Bartlett)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 17:29:15 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Robert Silvers) writes:
>	I have modified a Pro-43.  My brother has a Pro-39
>which looks similar.  The diode configuration is different
>though.  Can this be modded?

It  sure can.  I bought a Pro-39 whilst in the US and got back to the UK
to  find that the bands were different here.  So after reading about the
various  mods  applied  to other scanners I bit the bullet and took mine
apart  (I  couldn't  find  any  notes  on any of the FTP servers for the
Pro-39,  so  I  wasn't  expecting  to  be  able  to do too much).  As it
happens, the mod was pretty much identical to those carried out on other
'Pro' scanners; only the names have changed.

I  did  the  800MHz  mod by removing one diode, the third in the line of
four  (I  think the diodes were D4-D7 and the diode to remove was D6 ---
but  don't  quote me on that) and that range now works for me.  I expect
if I'd tried the other diode mod, that too would work but I didn't.

The  only  real difference I found from the other mods was that I didn't
need  to remove the keyboard PCB, just the shield.  One other thing, the
diodes   are   surface  mount,  so  they're  small  and  you'll  need  a
small-tipped iron (well mine wasn't but it would make it a LOT easier).

Sorry  this  is  so  vague,  it  was  a while ago and I've forgotten the
details.   But  the  answer's a definite YES.  Read up on the other mods
for dismantling details.

Gary
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Bartlett, Abekas Video Systems, 12 Portman Rd, Reading, Berks, RG3 1EA. UK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NET:  [email-masked]                          PHONE: +44 734 585421
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!uknet!abekrd!Gary.Bartlett	  FAX:   +44 734 567904
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DES Public: 5a9a5d35a2f745ddd8cce89707d3fe671c136aec90b0da037c182630e911eb9e
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------