Subject: pro46mod

From: [email-masked] (JAMES M. FRANK)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 20:00:40 +0500

Product: Realistic PRO-46 by Radio Shack
Purpose: Restoration of full 800 Mhz coverage

  The modification of this unit is from the May, 1993 issue of
  Monitoring Times, published by Grove Enterprises.

  ** Disclaimer:  All modifications are done at your own risk.  This
  product uses surface mount components which can be easily damaged.
  Do not perform this modification if you are not experienced with
  this type of circuitry.  This will void the warranty of your scanner.

  ** Listening to certain portions of the 800 Mhz band is prohibitted
  by United States law.

  Modification of PRO-46 for full 800 Mhz coverage with 30 Khz stepping
  available.

  1.  Remove the battery pack, battery door and antenna.
  2.  Remove the four black screws from the back of the radio, then
      push upward on the bottom of the rear of the case, carefully
      swinging it upward and removing it.
  3.  Carefully insert a small screwdriver between the two boards
      next to the interconnect plug in the lower right corner.  Gently
      pry the top board up to separate it and set it aside.
  4.  Unsolder the copper-coated plastic shield from the microprocessor
      and set it aside.  ** CAUTION!!  Too much heat will damage the
      shield. **
  5.  Locate the two chip jumpers imprinted with "0".  Carefully unsolder
      and remove both.
  6.  Solder one chip jumper across the two upper most unused solder
      pads.  (Soldering a jumper across the lower two pads changes the
      30-50 Mhz band to 68-88 Mhz.)
  7.  Reverse steps 1-4.  The modification is completed.

          ---------------|              -------------
                         |                o----o    |
                         |                          |
                         |----------------||==||--o |
                      IC |                          |
                         |                 ||==||   |
                         |                 ||==||   |
                         |                          |
                         |-------- ( )        |     |
                         |   .----(   )    -------  |
          ---------------l   .---- ( )     |  O  |  |
                                           -------  |
                  ----------^--------       = = =   |
                  ----------^------ |         |     |
                            o     | |         |     |
                  -------||==||-- | |         |     |
                  ---------\ |  | | |       ||==||<---------Remove
                           | |  | | |      o  |     |
  Place chip -->   --O----*| |*-| | |         |     |
 jumper inside             | |             o  |     |
  asteriks                 | |              ||==||<---------Remove
                   ^------O| |                |     |
                           | |               /      |
                           | |              ||==||  |
               -------\||  | |              ||==||  |
                          / /

Jim