Subject: Yeasu FT-11R Xtend Tx Mod

From: [email-masked] (Ian Jordan)
Date: 18 Jan 1994 15:47:44 GMT

This mod gives you extended transmission range on a Yeasu FT-11R.
 
I have knowlege that this mod works, but take no responsibility for any
damage it does to your radio, the legality of this mod, or any other 
incurred damages.
 
After the mod a FT-11R will have:
 
Recieve: 110.000-135.995 (AM)  136.000-180.000 (FM)
Transmit: 136.000-180.000 (FM)
Empty Memories and a completely reset radio
 
First, Remove the antenna, battery pack, and pocket clip (if installed)
from the radio. Then remove the four black screws from the corners of 
the main section of the radio, the two black screws from the bottom center
section of the main body, and the two silver screws from the bottom of the 
keyboard section. Now carefully separate the back and front halves of the
radio, taking care not to put too much strain on the internal ribbon cable,
or loose the small metal strap holder or the battery release button.  
Once you have opened the radio, carefully remove the metal plate covering
the back of the keyboard. Then remove the "AF" pcboard by first removing 
the two copper screws in the middle of the board, then holding the bottom  
of the pcboard and the mic/speaker jacks between your thumb and forefinger
and pulling straight up. This may take a little force, as you are 
seperating two connectors. Once you have the "AF" board removed, set it and
the connector/keyboard backplane board aside.  Now look at the lower left 
corner of the controller board. You should see the 8 jumpers (they are very
small), set up like this:
         
     Top of radio
 
L   A  o-o    o o E     I don't know how the jumpers relate to the 
E   B  o-o    o o F     ones on the schematic, so the letters are just 
F   C  o o    o/o G     for reference in this article
T   D  o-o    o o H
                       "-" means a solder jumper, and "/" means resistor
 
These are the functions of the jumpers that I know of:
A- Turns your radio into the euro version (TX between 144.000-146.000)
B- ?
C- ?
D- This is the important one. Gives you extened TX range
E- Turns your radio into the 440Mhz version. Not Suggested!
F- ?
G- ?
H- Same as jumper "E"
 
The only jumper that this mod deals with is "D". It currently has a solder
jumper across it.  Remove the solder across the jumper with really small
solder wick or a desoldering station, taking care not to touch any plastic 
with your soldering iron. Once this solder jumper is removed, you now
have extened tx range. Now carefully replace the "AF" board first, and
then the connector/keyboard backplane board. Take care to get the copper 
grounding connector on the side of the mic/speaker jacks well seated. 
Replace the two copper screws in the middle of the "AF" board, and the two 
silver screws on the bottom of the keyboard. Replace the battery eject
button and strap holder, and then replace the back half of the radio. Replace all 
the screws, put the battery and antenna back on, and turn the radio on. 
You should see 144.000 on the screen. Turn the radio off and the hold the
MHZ/\ and MHZ\/ buttons while turning the radio on. You now have the transmit
range between 136.000-180.000. 
        As a suggestion, you can store completely different transmit and 
recieve frequencies in a memory (see manual), so if you store a service 
frequency in a memory, you can program a legal HAM frequency as the 
transmit freq. so you never accidently transmit on an illegal frequency.
        
        Another neat feature that I have found on these radios is the 
"Clone" feature. You can transfer all memories from one FT-11R to 
another FT-11R.  First, make a cable using two male stereo 1/8"
connectors, 
and connecting the top(gound) and middle conductors of the plugs straight
through. Don't connect the tip conductors together though. Plug this cable
into the earphone jacks of the two radios, and on each radio, hold down the
"FM" button while turining it on. You should see every character flashing 
on the screen. Now, on the radio which you wish to recieve the memory 
contents from the other radio, press the MHZ\/ button. You should see 
"RX CLN" on the screen. Then on the radio which is to send it's memory 
contents, press the MHZ/\ button. "TX CLN" should appear on the screen for
about 5 seconds, then it should return to the flashing screen state. The
recieving radio should now be in normal operating mode. Turn both radios
off, and remove the cable. That's it.  This function overwrites all of
the recieving radio's mem contents, and copies everything from memories
to pager codes to the status of the light. WARNING: The instant that you
hit the MHZ\/, your memories are GONE, even if the transfer is unsuccessful!
Also, both radios must have the same jumper settings to successfully 
complete the cloning process.
 
That's all I know for now! Have fun! 
 
Any other questions? Contact me at "[email-masked]" 

-- 
						* * Ian Jordan * *