

Article 13146 of rec.ham-radio:
Path: philabs!philmtl!uunet!littlei!eagle.hf.intel.com!collier
>From: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: rec.ham-radio
Subject: FT-470 neat whizzy stuff
Keywords: mods, crossband repeater
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Aug 89 05:10:35 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Collier Chun)
Organization: Intel Corp., OEM Platforms Operation, Hillsboro, Oregon
Lines: 32
Posted: Thu Aug  3 01:10:35 1989

Well, since there's a lot of mod' req's floating around, I thought I'd
mention something I discovered while attempting to perform a clone data
dump on the Yaesu FT-470.

The Yaesu Customer Service Rep' that I called today claimed that the
FT-470 *does* have a cloning capability despite the lack of instructions
in the manual.  Supposedly, the way to get into Clone Mode is to turn on
the radio with the F/M key depressed.

HOWEVER!  If you turn on the radio with the RPT key depressed, the radio
becomes a crossband repeater.  Try it!  Dial up two frequencies you want
to crosslink (be sure to pay attention to transmit offsets, if any), turn
the radio off, depress the RPT key, and turn it back on.  The tone
encode/decode flags and the -+ flags will be flashing.  When either
band's squelch opens, the other band is moved into the primary frequency
display and the transmitter keys.  Note that the power output is
decreased to Low power.  One note: the crossband audio isn't great,
probably because it's whatever comes out the speaker and gets fed back
into the mike.  I suppose if you got serious, you could create a short
interface cable to plug into the top of the radio.

And back to the data dump:  I'm hoping to duplicate the efforts of
another ham who posted on this network about his success in modifying
the FT-411's dump.  My problem was that I saw nothing coming out of the
clone port when I hit the ^ key.  Ideas?

73's & happy dual/crossbanding!

Collier Chun
NM7B @ WA7ARI
Intel Corporation, OEM Platforms Operation
Hillsboro, Oregon