Subject: Yaesu FT 470 Extended Tx. (side effect from keyboard Entry Mod.)

From: Gogian_Yee.ES_GSD/[email-masked]
Date: 26 Sep 91 04:14:46 GMT

I discovered a side effect from using the Keyboard Entry Modification... I
noticed by accident that when inputting a frequency (from 140 Mhz to 155 Mhz
instead of the usual 144 to 148 Mhz range), and setting the standard frequency
offset of 60 Khz or none at all), i could Transmit. I used a dummy load on the
HT and experimenting further and discovered i can use either the standard
offset (- or +) or just plain simplex mode and still be able to Transmit
without getting the usual "ERROR" message on the display. I verified the
transmission capability by using my Scanner and a Spectrum analyzer with a
small whip antenna to monitor the output of my Yaesu FT 470 at work. At the Low
Power setting, with a 7.2 volt battery, i was able to get approximately +46db
at the 0db attenuation level on the analyzer using from 140 Mhz all the way to
155 Mhz range, so the transmit level at the extended frequency ranges of 140 to
144 Mhz and 148 to 155 Mhz matches the same Transmit level elsewhere in the
band. That's 4 Mhz and 7 Mhz respectively on the extended Transmit!!!
This side effect comes about when you use the Extended Frequency Keyboard Entry
Mod. That's when you select a VFO and enter "50 Mhz), set offset to zero by
entering four zeroes, turning the HT off/on, hitting FM key and then REVerse
key, then RPT to either "-" or "+" and pressing REVerse to select the frequency
range(s) you want and storing the Upper and Lower limits...
You might want to try this side benefit yourself and see what you come up
with...
I tried to 70 cm side, but the side effect isn't to be found (yet), but i'm
still experimenting with the 470.
			73 de KC6VKZ